© questions? … © answers!


Licenses for music used in movies & videos

Licenses with ASCAP, BMI & SESAC allow the performance of compositions on campus. These licenses do not apply to the creation of CDs or videos.

To add music to a movie or video, you need 2 licenses, a synchronization license from the publisher of the composition, AND a master use license from the owner of the sound recording (usually the record label).

The Harry Fox Agency issues synchronization licenses for compositions, but often it’s best to contact the publisher directly.
For the master use license, contact the record label directly, usually these licenses are handled by the “catalogue” or “special use” departments.

The publisher has the veto over the use of their composition. Thus, even if the label grants a master use license, the publisher must also grant a sync license to use the composition in the movie or video.

Making and distribution of a video which contains unlicensed copyrighted material is NOT protected by the TEACH Act.